Today, it we will be one month since we have the jacuzzi… time for the last jacuzzi party.
For the last time, we heated the jacuzzi, prepared a nice buffet with plenty of finger food and enjoyed this last party. Tomorrow, we will disassemble everything and put it on storage until the next jacuzzi season.
After a first party, we decided to renew the experience. This time, we worked on a new setup, where the buffet sits in the middle of the jacuzzi.
This was a huge success! We could enjoy the warm water and access the buffet at the same time. Due to the high number of children in the water, we choose dishes with high sides to protect the food from unexpected waves…
The downside of this setup, is that you have to continuously run the filter during two days after the party in order to clean the water…
Today is the big day! I finally found a way to mount my water sensors on the water circuit. After a lot of unsuccessful and/or wet tries, I came to the idea of using the same Gardena elements as my sprinklers. They provides a 25mm PVC pipe, Tee fittings with 3/4 connectors and barbs to connect to flexible hoses.
As I had some pipes left from my sprinkler installation, I only had to buy a set of Tees in order to assemble my sensors bypass. From now on, I only have to start the secondary pump in order to get some fresh water in the pipe to take my water quality measures!
In a rush to build the heating system, we forgot to install a filling valve on the heater circulation pipes. Yesterday, the heater was very low on pressure and I tried to use the exhaust valve as a filling one. The sole result was that the cabin was inundated and the pressure stayed low.
So today I went to my favorite hardware store in order to buy a valve and some plumbing in order to install a filling valve on the heater. As we already made a lot of plumbing work when installing the cooling system of the Provence datacenter, I had some previous experience on sealing pipes with oakum. Proudly, after the installation, no one leaked 😉
Today I finally had time to upgrade my jacuzzi control center. The Raspberry Pi is doing its work since the first day, but we had no way to operate the jacuzzi from the cabin, without using our cell phones.
I first had to find a touchscreen monitor (thanks to Ricardo I found a cheap one in Chur) and a 7 segment display (from Adafruit). After some soldering and mounting work, I now have a control center to manually start or stop the pumps, display the temperatures and sensors graphs.
Water control in a jacuzzi is almost a full time job. Due to the high temperatures (37°C-40°C), the sanitisers degrade very quickly. Overall, we had to put almost 3 times more sanitisers as in a 20°C pool. To control water quality (pH and the presence of enough Active Oxygen in the water), we used test strips every day.
Today, I just received water sensors from Atlas Scientific to control the pH and the ORP level of the water. My goal is to mount the sensors inline on the heating circuit.
The first step was to mount the sensors’ pcbs and the multiplexer on a breadbord and to test the serial connection to a Raspberry Pi.
Leds are blinking and measures are sent on the serial bus… Next step will be to mount the sensors on the circulation pipes.
Yesterday my children discovered that they could comfortably sit on the edge of the jacuzzi holding onto the pipe of the water jets. Unfortunately, I missed that part when I assembled the jacuzzi and the pipe fell in the water.
Today I get some split ring hangers from a local plumber and secured the pipes to the lid. Now it will last every sort of hanging…
We had some hard time to convince the children that closing the lid when they were in the water was not the best idea. However, some time it’s just too difficult to resist… So, before someone get caught under the lid, I changed the remote control of the lid and put a main switch on the control board in the cabin.
From now on, it’s only possible to open/close the lid when the main control switch is on. The rest of the remote control functions are unaffected (control of water games).
Last week, when we installed the jacuzzi, we had no time to really work on the layout of the cabin. After a week of use, we had enough experience in order to make the necessary adjustments… Again, after a trip to the hardware store, I had all the missing peaces in order to transform the cabin in a nice and tidy place to undress, make the fire and even supervise the children.
A four weeks long experiment to build and operate a wood fired hot tub